Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Mirror Fast

A while back I read on the blog Project Inspired (projectinspired.com) about a mirror fast. Like, not looking at yourself for a week or longer. I, being homeschooled, thought, "This is gonna be easy. I don't even see anyone most of the week, so why would I look in the mirror all the time to check how I look?" Wrong! It is not easy! Do you know how many surfaces show a reflection? Do you realize how often we look at ourselves just to look?
 In the beginning I had to consiously be very aware of my surroundings to avoid seeing myself. The fast became about not looking at myself. It was about my reflection. It was about me, not looking at me.  About halfway into the week, it began to come more naturally. Everytime I happened to glance in a reflection of myself, I simply turned away. It stopped being about me. It was about not constantly looking at myself to see how I look, not constantly thinking of what myself and others thought about me.
I have realized that the majority of the time, if there is a reflection of myself, I will stare into it just because. I like to see myself; I like to vainly think how pretty I am, or beat myself up about a bad hair day. I like to look at other girls and at the next chance I get, look at myself to compare. Am I as pretty? Do guys notice me as much as her? Does my hair look better than her today? Is my make-up as pretty as hers?
The result is either pride or shame. And neither of them fit God's perfect plan for my life.
Another thing to consider is this: if I am constantly looking and gazing at myself, how much more should I look to others, since its says in the bible to love your neighbor as yourself! And how much more should I be looking to God!! Surely He is worthy of just as much as me attention and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment