Monday, December 23, 2013

Enough

"Christ is Enough" We hear it a lot in contemporary worship. "Christ is enough for me!" we proclaim, and yet I think sometimes we misinterpret this phrase. There are two ways of looking at this phrase, and I believe both can be right. But, if we're only looking at one, we may end up confused at life's circumstances. You can look at it like this: "Christ is enough. He provides everything I need and gives me the desires of my heart. He provides; He gives." or, you can look at it like this: "Christ is enough. I don't need anything else beside Him. If I am to live with little or nothing; so be it. Christ is enough."

Matthew 4:4 says "Jesus answered, 'It is written, "Man doesn't live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God."'" In Matthew 10, Jesus sends the 12 disciples to preach the Gospel, and He says to them, "Do not take along any gold or silver or copper in your belts; take no bag for the journey, or extra tunic, or sandals or a staff..."

Christ sometimes calls us to situations that are uncomfortable. C.S. Lewis said, "If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity." Sometimes Jesus tells you to go live in a shack with absolutely nothing to your name but the clothes on your back. Sometimes He calls you to move across the world and preach the Gospel and maybe die for the Gospel. Sometimes He tells you to go to Mexico and get wet and cold and not sleep and be cold and get muddy and be cold. When He calls us to situations like these, "Christ is enough" doesn't make sense if we're trying to understand it as "Christ gives me what I think I need to live." These are the times when we still our hearts and choose to say "Christ is enough. I don't need anything else."

No comments:

Post a Comment