Thursday, March 28, 2013

Humility, Grace, and Mercy

It took me a long time to learn about humility. I was raised in a Christian home, with Christian parents and grandparents. I've probably missed church a total of less than a hundred times in my life.
I'm not saying any of this to brag, but so you can understand what I'm going to say next.

I used to think that I was okay on my own. I used to think that I was good enough for Jesus. I used to think that my sins were so small and few that Jesus probably didn't even notice them. But when I did mess up, the above beliefs caused me to think that now I had messed up my perfectness, and God was disappointed in me. It's a horrible feeling. And it can get depressing. I'd try and try and try to get things right, and when I'd inevitably mess up, I'd promise myself I'd never do it again. And when I'd mess up despite all my promises, I'd feel worthless, to myself and to God.

But then, through God's grace, I got a revelation of humility. Man, did I realize how imperfect I am!

When you get a revelation of humility, it enables you to see grace and mercy clearly. Grace is getting what you don't deserve. Mercy is not getting what you do deserve. When I falsely believed that I was alright on my own, I had no need for grace or mercy.

But when I got the revelation of humility, I realized just how amazing God's grace and mercy are. Every time I mess up, I can know that God's grace keeps me from total destruction. Every time I mess up, I can know that He isn't disappointed in my dirtiness because the cross has covered me.

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost, but now am found. Was blind but now I see.

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." 2 Corinthians 12:9

No comments:

Post a Comment