Friday, March 22, 2013

All my eyes wanna see

In the song All I Need is You by Hillsong United, there's a line in the first verse that says "All my eyes wanna see is a glimpse of You." I'm not sure what exactly Hillsong meant to convey through this line. It could be seen as a longing to see Him, but the way I've always interpreted it is, "My eyes never want to see more than just a little bit of You."

When we used to sing this song in youth group, I loved that line because it's so true. Of course I want Him. But the implications of staying with Him include doing things my flesh doesn't want to so. So all it wants to see is a little bit. The "good" part. The part of Him that blesses and promises and protects. That's all my eyes want to see. They don't want to see the part that asks me to go out of my comfort zone. They don't want to see the part that says "Die to self." They don't want to see the part that convicts me of my sin.

John 3:19-20 says, "This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed." (this vulnerability thing is coming full circle)

So my eyes only want to see a little bit of Him. They don't want my darkness to be exposed in the light. I always loved that line in the song because it was the cry of my heart; I got to sing it out loud, then beg Him to come near anyway. Because He's worth the embarrassment of my sin.
The last part of that passage in John says this: "But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God."

To Him be all the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment