Sunday, April 20, 2014

Intimate Love

John 20:16 
"Jesus said to her, 'Mary.'" 

This verse struck me today... what an intimate love!  Mary mistook her Risen Saviour for the gardener, and instead of being harsh, He says her name. Simply, "Mary."  I can almost hear His gentle voice, beckoning to her heart... this is my Jesus. This is my Beloved. 

I guess this verse resonates with me so much because I have found myself in the same position as Mary many, many times. I mistake Jesus for a different person entirely, supposing or assuming that He holds me to a perfect standard, subconsciously thinking that He expects much of me, that He is disappointed in me when I fail. I mistake Him for a harsh, cold, and calculating Jesus, when really He is forgiving, merciful, graceful, and above all, unconditionally loving. So many times I am ridden with guilt and shame, disappointed in myself for failing again, anticipating His wrath, when He calls to me. Just my name. "Faith." So much love and intimacy in just one word. 

He loves me. He really, really, loves me. He is not the gardener, nor is He a harsh God. He is not who I sometimes assume Him to be. He is intimate. He is my Jesus, and He died for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment