Thursday, January 24, 2013

If Only...

When I was in Mexico, I remember frequently thinking something along the lines of, "If only (fill in the blank), then I would be fine. Then it wouldn't be as hard; then I could stand it." But God continually reminded me that if it isn't one thing, it's another. For example: I would think, "If only the rain hadn't leaked into our tents! Then it wouldn't be so bad." But if that hadn't happened I would be saying, "If only it didn't rain and make the roads muddy and make it more cold than it already was." But if it hadn't rained I would be thinking, "If only it wasn't freezing cold." Or, "If only it wasn't so cold at night." Or, "If only there was more lights in the tent so my stuff wasn't all over the place." Or, "If only there were warm showers." Etc, etc, etc.; until I'm basically asking for a hotel room, perfect 75-degree-weather, and really easy ministry with no hassles.
       I believe God purposely gives us more than we can handle so that we have to rely on Him to make it through. If this had been an easy mission trip; if it was warm and it didn't rain and our tents didn't leak and the tents had lights and there were warm showers and we didn't have to get up early and there were comfortable beds and there was real plumbing instead of port-a-potties, I wouldn't have had to depend on God to even get up in the morning. I wouldn't have had to beg Him for the strength to do ministry every day. He knows that He is all we really need and sometimes we need to be reminded of that.
       I also remember having to repeat James 1:2-4 a lot. When an uncomfortable situation came up, I found myself saying, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, when you face trials of many kinds. For you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work in you so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."
       God knows what He's doing. He works all things for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose, and He chooses to use us to glorify Himself. Sometimes bringing Him glory isn't easy or comfortable, but He won't bring us to anything that He won't bring us through.

1 comment: