Friday, May 2, 2014

Why this lack of faith?

Last night I stayed up way later than I should have drawing a picture. The amazing thing is, I never really draw. I'm not very good at it, so most attempts are met with frustration. But a couple weeks ago, I got an idea for a drawing, and last night I decided to attempt it. To my utter surprise, it actually turned out alright (I was ecstatic). This morning while worshipping, God gave me a blog post to go along with it! He is crazy good, is He not?!

Luke 8:22-25 is the story of Jesus calming the storm: 
"One day Jesus said to his disciples, 'Let's go over to the other side of the lake.' So they got into a boat and set out. As they sailed, he fell asleep. A squall came down on the lake, so that the boat was being swamped, and they were in great danger. The disciples went and woke him, saying, 'Master, Master, we're going to drown!' He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm. 'Where is your faith?' he asked his disciples."

I'd like to point out something specific about this passage. Jesus would have been perfectly fine just sleeping through the storm all the way to the other side of the lake. The disciples, however, were not okay with that. They thought they were going to drown. Jesus said at the beginning, "Let's go over to the other side of the lake." By saying this, he implied that they were actually going to get to the other side. He's Jesus; He's God. He wasn't surprised by the storm. Not even a little bit. He knew it was going to happen. 

A lot of people, I think, use this passage to illustrate the fact that Jesus can calm storms. And this is true. He can, and sometimes He does. But from my small amount of experience in life, most of the time, He doesn't. Now before you all scream heresy and stone me, let me explain. First of all, if you haven't read my posts about trials and suffering, do so. This is a HUGE reason I believe Jesus doesn't always calm storms. Because He knows that we will make it through the storm with His help, and that this trial with actually draw us closer to Him, He lets the storm rage. Notice also, that when the disciples woke Him, He called them out on their lack of faith. Sometimes, when we call out to God in the midst of a storm, expecting Him to calm it, I think He calls us out on our lack of faith. Did He not say not to fear? Did He not say that He would carry us through? Why, then, this lack of faith? God knew this storm would come. It did not surprise Him, and it is not beyond His control. He will carry us through. Do not fear. 

This is the drawing I did last night: (the writing at the bottom says, "She did not fear the storm before her, for she was a lioness, a daughter of the Lion of the Tribe of Judah.")

No comments:

Post a Comment