Monday, January 20, 2014

Not a lukewarm God

In Revelation 3, God addresses lukewarmness in the church of Laodicea. Verses 15-16 say "I know your works. You are neither cold with apathy nor hot with passion. It would be better if you were one or the other, but you are neitherSo because you are lukewarm, neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth."  Lukewarmness is a heart issue. It's tricky and hard to recognize, even in yourself, because the works are still there.  You can be doing every single good work available for you to do, and still be lukewarm if your heart is indifferent.


God has been convicting me of lukewarmness in my own heart, and it's heart-wrenching. "What?????? Me??? I'm not lukewarm! Jesus, I do so much for You! I love You so much, how could I possibly be lukewarm???" But He brings to remembrance how my mind wanders during worship, even while passionately belting the songs with arms lifted, how my quiet times can tend to be merely motions, my heart and mind elsewhere. The works are still there, quiet time and everything. The heart alone is indifferent, but it's what He cares about. He passionately in love with me, and He longs for my heart to incline towards Him.


God asks us to love like He does. So, if lukewarmness is a heart issue; if He wants us to love Him with our hearts, what does that say about Him? It means that He is not a lukewarm God! It means He doesn't just do stuff for us because He feels obligated; He doesn't do stuff for us while His heart is elsewhere, not caring one way or the other. It means that behind every little thing He does for us is a heart exploding with passionate love! It means He really, really loves us! It even says at the end of the letter to the church at Laodicea that He is warning them of their lukewarmness because of His great love! (verse 19)


He isn't waiting impatiently for us to stop being so lukewarm, annoyed that our hearts turned elsewhere yet again, He's bursting with anticipation for the moment that our hearts turn to Him. He's waiting with a bucket of lovingkindness, ready to drench us the moment we seek His face.

No comments:

Post a Comment